Monday, August 22, 2016

Freeing yourself from people bondage.




What if they judge me? What if they take it the wrong way? And just like that, God suddenly spoke to my heart and here it is- "freeing yourself from people bondage". 

As I write this blog, I am reminded of a time that I struggled with people bondage- worrying too much of what people might think of me. Will they like me? Will they approve of me? Do I speak or write the way their human minds will allow them to agree? All of these are examples of being in people bondage.
I am not in any way perfect and as I grow in my faith, the Holy Spirit continues to mold and shape me like a clay in the potter’s house. The Holy Spirit is gently molding me into the image of Christ, reshaping the clay that was once broken or out of shape.

Do you know this verse?

“You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.” Psalm 139:16

Your journey is meant to shape you.

The Bible tells us that God knew us before we were formed in our mother’s womb, and He knows what each one of us are capable of being in this world. He created us to be the best we can possibly be. But in order for us to receive the blessings that God has promised us, we must understand that our journey is meant to shape us. Maybe you’ve been criticized and judged all your life. You grew up in a neighborhood that gave little to no encouragement. You were considered the child that will never amount to anything, you were adopted, your parents left you when you were still a baby, your family constantly criticizes you. Whatever it may be that you’ve experienced or might be experiencing, know that your journey was meant to shape you. You can allow your past to either make you bitter or better. You can decide today, to no longer be in bondage to the voices of those around you and tune into God’s voice instead.

Do you know these verses?

  "When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”
 “Well,” they replied, “some say John the Baptist, some say Elijah, and others say Jeremiah or one of the other prophets.”
Then he asked them, “But who do you say I am?”
 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
 Jesus replied, “You are blessed, Simon son of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being. Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it.
Matthew 16:13-18

Do you know who you are?

I am reminded that just a week ago, as I was doing my study on Genesis, I became intrigued at how God changed Abram’s name (exalted father) to Abraham(father of multitudes) and Sarai(quarrelsome) to Sarah(mother of many). We take note of the above verses, here we see God, questioning His disciples regarding identity, He questions them on His own identity and without hesitation, Simon declares, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” And at that very moment the Lord blessed and changed his name from Simon (He God has heard) to Peter(rock).
 As I continued on my Genesis study, I began questioning my own identity in Christ and what significance does my name have to do with it. My name Osatohamnwen, means ‘God has mercy on me’, but that moment I had no clue of the meaning of my middle name ‘Lillian’. I soon became distracted and forgot to look into it. Later that day I had these dead roses that needed to be thrown out and before I throw them out, I said a prayer over them declaring they “come back to life.” The next day Brian(my husband), went on his usual hike up the mountain to pray, I gave him my prayer request as usual, I said “pray for a revelation of confirmation”. He came back a few hours later with the must prettiest Lilies I have ever seen, and I was excited to see them. Brian then said “God wanted you to have these”. It was a revelation for me in so many ways including how I’d prayed just the night before for resurrection upon those dead roses and here I am looking at new flowers from God with the exact color as the dead roses. But then I thought, well, why didn’t God send me roses? Why Lilies?  And at that very moment it dawned on me, that there was a significance in the meaning of Lily, and my name Lillian is tied into it. So I went looking up the meaning of the name. Lillian is derived from the flower Lily, and it is the symbol of innocence; purity; beauty.  
These are the main revelations I want you to take from this:
1.     In order to know your identity, you must acknowledge who your Savior. You must declare just like Simon Peter that “God is the Messiah and the Son of the living God”. And believe in your heart that He is your Lord and personal Savior.
2.     You should read the word of God often, and by doing this you are gradually being molded into a new creation in Christ. All of your old will be left behind and God will gradually form you into a new being, in the image of Christ.
3.     If you are not being shaped into the image of Him, your identity will be submerged into the world, thus you have no identity- you are just another statistic.
4.     Just like Sarah, You can choose to accept the identity of your name and in her case “quarrelsome” or you can allow God to step in and tell you who you are, “mother of multitude”, “prophet to the nations”, “the head and not the tail”, “fearfully and wonderfully made”, “Daughters and sons of God”.
Remember that no matter what anyone thinks of you, says about you, that you are still God’s chosen one, anointed one. Even if your boss thinks you are incompetent, remember you are still God’s anointed one and true knowledge comes only from above and not man. This is not to carry an attitude of bitterness towards anyone but rather being secure enough to know that even in your failures, the Lord still has a better plan for you and for that reason, you should rejoice for every opportunity of growth.


 Do you know these verses?
     “So we can say with confidence, "The LORD is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?” Hebrews 13:6.

   “Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant.” Galatians 1:10

  “My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20

  


Live for God and not humans.

Who are you living for? Whose approval do you seek? Who do you put your trust in?
As believers, our old self is no longer alive in us, but Christ now lives and dwells inside of us, everything we do is to glorify Him. Even if your mother, sister, uncle or teacher doesn’t approve, remind them that you are only trying to please God and not them.
  
“I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.” Matthew 10:35.
 

Do you realize that Christ didn’t save you for the sake of you returning back to bondage of your mother, father, in-laws, or co-workers? Your salvation and the molding of your new being is meant to tear you away from the rest of the world, If the ones you love, brothers or sisters are tearing you down for living out your faith, then you must free yourself from their bondage. This doesn’t mean you make them feel below you, but rather, you stand up for your belief in Christ and you stand firm upon the foundation of His word.

A few years ago when I was truly saved and understood that my salvation wasn’t to be taken lightly- possibly radically, I was met with adversary from family members and friends. Did I care? Yes, I did, but as I continued to grow in Him, I began to not care what they thought. No I don’t want to listen to BeyoncĂ©, go to the bars or watch the real housewives. Why? Because it’s all a waste of time and it will slowly take away from you rather than add to you. Why would I listen to something, or watch something that will take away from my spiritual life that I now consider more important than my physical. Yes, I also gladly block and hide Facebook friends that constantly post nonsense on their Facebook walls because I do not want them creating a stumbling block for me. I had a friend send me a message last year, she said “you’ve changed, you are so different.” And yes of course I’ve changed, If I was still the same person as before then how can I truly call myself a Christian? I don’t have the power to change anyone, but what I do have is the power of God working in me; when people see me, they should be able to see the power of God working in me. Therefore, a change can possible spring forth towards them.

Place your faith in Him, and as always, acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will make all your ways straight. Free yourself from the bondage of this world by acknowledging Christ as your Lord and Savior and begin to declare His word upon your life. Tune out the noise of the world and spend more time with the Father.


Father in the name of Jesus, I pray that the person reading this be immediately filled with the Holy Spirit. May the Spirit of the Lord, take captive anything that is holding them back from their divine calling. According to Romans 12:2, may the Spirit renew in them a new way of thinking that will be pleasing and acceptable to the will of God. May You give them strength, courage, and patience to deal with the obstacles in their lives. May the favor of the Lord be upon them only as they seek after You, Your kingdom, Your wisdom, Your knowledge and righteousness. In Jesus name amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment

:)thanks in advance, I truly enjoy reading all your comments. I hope we become friends
hugs and kisses. Osato