Friday, January 13, 2017

Feeling discouraged?

It is not unusual to feel discouraged, no matter where you are right now,  or how far ahead you might be in life right now, discouragement doesn't discriminate. Even the most holy and spiritual people experience discouragement. It really doesn't take much to be discouraged. If I can be honest with you, I am writing this at a point of discouragement.

As I replied a text message from a new friend yesterday, she could feel my discouragement over a text message. She said, "feeling a little discouraged? we should catch up soon".

So what do we do?

We've all heard this verse in the Bible: "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33. 
That was Jesus telling us to expect tribulation but He reassures us that as we put our hope in Him, we shall overcome. 

The truth is that our emotions are always up and down, we can be in the most desirable mood in the morning and by noon our world is upside down. Someone might have said something to us, done something to us, treated us unfair or simply didn't come through for us. And other times it could be our thoughts, our situation, our health or even our finances that takes us into a downward spiral. Maybe it was that unanswered prayer, that the Lord seems to be ignoring. 

Are you mad at God? 

There can be a million things that can trigger discouragement in our lives, and it seems like we are in a constant battle to stay encouraged. As I said earlier, no matter how spiritual you are, discouragement is part of the battle. As a believer, we have the Lord with us to help us overcome. 

Many men and women in the Bible experienced discouragement. King David experienced a life of ups and downs. In Psalm 142, the king cries out to God in a distressful period:

 " I cried unto the Lord with my voice; with my voice unto the Lord did I make my supplication.
 I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble. When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul. I cried unto thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low: deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I.Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for thou shalt deal bountifully with me."

In the book of Job, we learn that Job was a man that was faithful to the Lord but still went through a period of discouragement, and despair. In the book of Ruth, Naomi, Ruth's mother in law was in total despair and discouragement after losing her entire family and only left with her daughter in law Ruth. Upon her return to Bethlehem, as the people in the town where excited to see her, saying,
 "is this Naomi?" Naomi replies them saying "Call me not Naomi, call me Mara: for the Almighty hath dealt very bitterly with me. I went out full, and the LORD hath brought me home again empty: why then call ye me Naomi, seeing the LORD hath testified against me, and the Almighty hath afflicted me?" Ruth 1:20-21
As believers, we can sometimes cover our discouragement and pretend things are fine. When in fact, we are just sorrowful inside. We can become so withdrawn and begin to deny our situation. Although we might not feel completely comfortable talking to others, we should always cry out to God for relief. The Messiah himself, the Lord Jesus had periods of discouragement. In the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus is seen with His disciples telling them He was in distress.
 "And he taketh with him Peter and James and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy; And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch.And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt." Mark 14:33-36

In the above scripture, Jesus was obviously bothered in distress due to the weight of the cross that was quickly approaching, He remained humble although still in distress but decided to pray to the Father. 
The Lord gives His people reassurance even in a world full of disappointments and despair. We can find numerous scriptures to place our hope when we feel hopeless. 
Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved." Psalm 55:22
And Jesus said: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
My prayers for you and I, is that no matter what we are facing, be it discouragement, disappointment, anger, loneliness, or depression, let us come boldly to the Lord saying: " Abba, father, all things are possible with You; take away this cup of burden from me, nevertheless not my will but let You will be done." Amen.
We are told by God to be strong and courageous, fear not because the Lord goes with us and will never leave or forsake us. Deuteronomy 31:6. 
My hope remains in God alone, with Him all things are possible. 
Be blessed sisters and you are always in my prayers. 
 with Godly love, Joyfully Osato

No comments:

Post a Comment

:)thanks in advance, I truly enjoy reading all your comments. I hope we become friends
hugs and kisses. Osato